Director, External Affairs
Cabot Oil & Gas
The Environmental Partnership “continues to demonstrate the oil and natural gas industry’s commitment to deliver improved environmental performance.”
Cabot is a proud member of The Environmental Partnership, working towards improving environmental performance of the natural gas and oil industry. Strengthening the future of energy resources and improving sustainability continues to be a top priority of The Partnership, and the 2020 Annual Report highlights action-oriented approaches to improve sustainability within participating companies.
Since its launch in 2017, The Partnership has expanded to include the industry’s midstream segment, an integral part of our supply chain. Review of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program data led to the creation of two new programs that provide midstream operators with cost-effective methods to address industry methane emissions from compressors and pipeline blowdowns.
Natural gas and oil companies can implement five Environmental Performance Programs targeted at reducing significant sources of emissions, including:
- Leak Detection and Repair: leak monitoring, followed by timely repair, at selected sites using detection methods and technologies such as Method 21 or Optical Gas Imaging cameras.
- Focus on High-Bleed Pneumatic Controllers: replace, remove, or retrofit high-bleed pneumatic controllers with low- or zero-emitting devices.
- Improving the Manual Liquids Unloading Process: implement an industry best practice that minimizes emissions associated with the removal of liquids that, as a well ages, can build up and restrict natural gas flow.
- Compressor Program: implement reduction practices that minimize emissions associated with centrifugal and reciprocating compressors.
- Pipeline Blowdown Program: implement reduction practices that minimize emissions during pipeline blowdowns.
The Environmental Partnership is implemented across 17 of 21 top producing states with 83 participating member companies. Through our membership, we hope to exemplify our industry commitment to continual learning and sharing of best practices.
Reposted, with permission, from Well Said Cabot.
Editor’s Note: This is why we don’t need Governor Wolf interfering. It’s happening without him and all he can do is muck it up.